The day had finally come. I had been waiting for weeks, counting the hours. Maleficent was here. She had arrived in all her royal wickedness and beauty.
And she did not disappoint.
This past April at Disney Social Media Moms Celebration I saw a short preview of Maleficent. In those few minutes I was captivated. Not only by the suspense that kept me glued to my seat, but by the eeriness and darkness that was to unfold. I would soon learn the truth.
The untold story of Disney’s most iconic villain from the classic “Sleeping Beauty.”
Five Reasons to Love Maleficent:
1. Maleficent had a pure heart when she was a young adult fairy. She was kind, sincere and showed love. A true sweetheart, until she was betrayed. That is when her heart turned to stone and she was hungry for revenge.
2. Maleficent’s best lines in the movie. They are brilliant. Especially coming from Angelina Jolie –
- “Well, Well.”
- “Curious little beastie.”
- “Listen well, all of you.”
- “Oh dear. What an awkward situation.”
- “Go away. I don’t like children.”
3. This was the first movie where I actually was routing for the villain, and
felt good about it.
4. The gorgeous, yet haunting version of Once Upon a Dream covered by Lana Del Ray during the credits.
5. Maleficent’s laugh. Awesome.
Overall, Maleficent is a keeper and will go down in history as a Disney classic. I love a happy ending where the deserving good guy ends up on top, and in this case, Maleficent is the winner.